Please subscribe and link to http://benstreet.co.uk/, which I will be using from now on in place of this site.
Monday, 7 May 2012
My new beginner's guide to contemporary art for the Saatchi Gallery starts 14th July. The course will take place on Saturday afternoons 2 - 4pm, 14th July - 18th August (no session on the 28th July).
The course includes visits to out-of-the-way galleries in the East End, blue chip galleries in the West End, a visit to an artist's studio, and other museums and galleries in London.
Here are some testimonials from my most recent course:
- 'Ben has a depth of knowledge, lucidity of expression and passion which is contagious and enlightening.'
- 'What I liked best of all was the approach to contemporary art by visiting a range of locations; from established museums to tiny galleries in the East End. The visits are both informal and relevant, and a refreshing contrast to the slide show lectures of the past. Ben’s enthusiasm is infectious and his relaxed approach belies an impressive knowledge and understanding of artists’ work past and present.'
- 'Ben is the perfect guide. [He] has helped me understand, appreciate and look at contemporary art with fresh eyes and appreciation.'
- 'Ben's style of teaching is friendly, informative and intelligent. He doesn't force a particular critical approach, apart from encouraging open-mindedness, and he values the contributions that members of the group make to discussions about art.'
- 'The course has allowed me to explore galleries I've been meaning to for ages, with the added value of having someone who is clearly passionate, excited and most importantly, knowledgeable about the art and the spaces.'
- 'I've found Ben's teaching style to be extremely liberal and encouraging - he's clearly interested in making sure his students are making the most out of what they're looking at, without pushing ideas or opinions. I think the course is well organised, it's relaxed, fun and insightful for anyone walking in to the London art scene with no previous experience of it.'
- 'I very much enjoyed each session, for its variety and for opening my eyes and mind to the world of contemporary art. I can highly recommend the sessions to anyone.'
- 'I think Ben Street is AMAZING - my knowledge of art stopped in the 80's and A LOT has happened since. After 7 weeks with Ben, I don't feel daunted by my lack of knowledge. He introduction to contemporary art is painless and I think our group really 'bonded'. I am looking forward to the next course.'
- 'Greatly enjoyed the many sessions given by Ben Street on getting to understand contemporary art. He is most knowledgeable and is able to tailor the talks for a broad range of people from those who know little and know some of contemporary and modern art. Importantly, he knows the gallery owners and artists and had arranged for them to speak with the group. Especially good was the visit to Peckham Rye and the talk from Michael Petry. I highly recommend Ben's sessions to anyone who wants to know more about contemporary art and its scene in London.'
The cost is £125 per person, excluding travel costs, or £25 per session. Anyone over 18 is welcome to attend. Places will be allotted on a first come, first served basis. For more information and to book your place on the course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact me if you need any more information. Please forward to anyone you think might be interested in taking part.